Monday, October 17, 2005

Perhaps my last college football rant.

This weekend, like the one just past, usually comes about mid-season. I mean the one when absolutely every game I care about goes the wrong way. The one where all my favorites - the Gators, the Seminoles (yeah, love 'em both - there's a story I'll tell some other time), Penn State (my mom grew up near State College, and I was born in Altoona, where PSU has a branch that hosts a summer fling for railroad buffs that I attend whenever I can) - get eliminated from national title consideration. The one where my alma mater loses one it could have, and needed to, win. The one where the Big Upset I wanted doesn't happen - yeah, I was rooting for Notre Dame over USC, and the only satisfaction I get is that the Irish got dealt the same fate they visited upon my beloved 'Noles and Gators, i.e. seeing a fourth quarter lead erased in the final seconds.

So, who's left to pin my hopes on? Could I learn to love the Horned Frogs?

1 comment:

  1. The best party I ever gave was when I invited exactly the same number of Gator fans and Seminole fans to my beach house (on stilts) to watch -- OK, fight over -- the Florida-Florida State game one year.

    I divided the TV room in half with -- what else? -- duct tape, of course. Everything Garnet and Gold had to stay on that side of the room, everythng Orange and Blue on this side. It was a close game, and MY team won, so all was right with the world, but there were moments when I thought all the yelling and screaming and jumping up and down was quite literally going to bring down the house!

    ReplyDelete