Friday, June 22, 2007

Cyclones off to a good start.

I hope my posting this doesn't jinx them, but the Brooklyn Cyclones, the Mets' Class A New York - Penn League affiliate, have opened their season by winning a series with their across-the-Narrows archrivals, the Staten Island Yankees. This is a promising beginning to the second stint of Edgar Alfonzo as manager. (Edgar should not be confused with his brother, Edgardo, a former Met who now plays for the Long Island Ducks. Venezuelans seem to have an odd penchant for giving their sons similar names. Endy Chavez has a brother named Ender, who formerly played for the Cyclones.)

Update: Cyclones have now won two series in succession, the second from upriver rivals Hudson Valley Renegades, so their record now stands at 4-2.

Joe Martini (see "comments" below) offers this testimonial:

My Dad often goes to Keyspan Park with the rest of his cronies from Avenue U. It's a great experience. Young kids getting their first taste of professional ball and that great ocean view.

Joe may be the only commenter on my blog who can link "Grand Opera" with "Port-o-San."

3 comments:

  1. sorry about the mets. we did what we could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it says something about me, but I have no idea how my local team, the Louisville River Bats, is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad often goes to Keyspan Park with the rest of his cronies from Avenue U. It's a great experience. Young kids getting their first taste of professional ball and that great ocean view.

    How 'bout those Mets. Hopefully they're back on track.

    Have you ever attended the Central Park Bandshell performances of NY Grand Opera? They're great. Fully staged with great singers and a terrific orchestra. This year they're doing La Traviata and Tosca.

    At last year's performance of Suor Angelica and Pagliacci I went to the men's room during intermission.

    When I got back to our lawn chair my wife said she was concerned I wouldn't make it back on time.

    "Not a problem," I answered.

    "The conductor was in the Port-O-San next to mine."

    ReplyDelete