Saturday, January 03, 2009

Mussorgsky/Ravel, "The Great Gate of Kiev".


Last night, my wife and I attended the New York Philharmonic concert at Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center. The final piece of the evening was a warhorse beloved by me: Ravel's orchestral arrangement of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. The Philharmonic's rendition, under the direction of Lorin Maazel, was spectacular. I searched YouTube for a clip of the climactic last part of the suite, "The Great Gate of Kiev", to share in a post. I had several options, and chose the one above, by jefflow1986, of an unidentified young Singaporean conductor leading an unidentified orchestra, because the sound and video quality are very good, but mostly because the camera angle shows the conductor so well, and he is spellbinding to watch as he directs the musicians on what we are told is his first effort at conducting this piece. The only defect is that it ends abruptly in the middle of the final note.