Saturday, July 23, 2011

Patti Smith at Castle Clinton, July 14, 2011

A week ago last Thursday my daughter and some friends went to a performance by Patti Smith at Castle Clinton, part of the River to River Festival. They arrived too late to get free tickets for seats inside the Castle, so stood near a door behind the stage, where they could at least hear the concert. As they stood there, a woman walked past and said "Hello!" before entering the Castle. It took a moment for them to realize this was Patti. One of those lucky enough to get a seat inside, tkfitz33, made the clip above of Patti singing "My Blakean Year", in which she seems to acknowledge those listening outside: "I can't see you, but I can feel you...."

Also in the audience at Castle Clinton was DelphiSibyl, who made the clip above of Patti and her band doing "Ghost Dance".

Addendum: In his review of Carolyn Burke's No Regrets: The Life of Edith Piaf, David Hadju recalls that, in his undergraduate days at NYU, "Holding my nose to Edith Piaf, I bowed to Patti Smith, without realizing that Smith was doing Piaf with a New York accent." I have but one quibble here: Patti does Piaf with a Philadelphia accent.