Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Visit number 10,000 is rapidly approaching.

Even with slow traffic over the Thanksgiving weekend, S-AB is likely to reach the 10,000 visit mark in a few days. If I can identify my 10,000th visitor (I'll post location of origin and whatever other identifying details I can get from my Sitemeter, so that you can reply by comment to my post or by e-mail), I'll send you as a prize a practically virgin CD, Rang Tang Ding Dong, by the Cellos. They were a five man doo-wop group of the 1950s who produced a small but interesting body of work. Originally called the Marcals until someone, probably Charles Merenstein of Apollo Records, advised them that being named for a popular brand of toilet paper wasn't a great career move, they had one charted hit, "Rang Tang Ding Dong (I'm the Japanese Sandman)", but this CD collection also includes such unheralded gems as "Juicy Crocodile", "The Be-Bop Mouse", the dreamy ballad "You Took My Love" and two versions of the jumping "What's the Matter For You?"

My Sitemeter now (Tuesday, November 20, 4:00 p.m. EST), stands at 9,854. Visit early and often.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:24 PM

    ooooh, I'm going to take this as a challenge and dadgummit I'm going to win this thing! I shall check in faithfully ad nauseum throughout the holiday weekend. Unless I forget to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claude,

    Congratulations! It's well deserved. I probably will not be #10,000, as I now have you on RSS feed, but I wanted to let you know I'm still reading.

    Best,
    august

    tuygq -- et tu, GQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:18 PM

    Okay, I'm checking in again...what number am I now?

    Also, will you be including some sort of dinner voucher, along with that cd?

    ReplyDelete
  4. august: Good to hear from you, and to know you're still reading. I'll try not to tax your attention span too severely, and to find something nice to say about the Orioles from time to time (it'll be easy when they're playing the Yanks).

    topazz: You're number 9,905, so there is plenty of time left (unless I get an unexplained sudden barrage of visits from China, as happened last May).

    I should think the magnificent CD should be prize enough, but, if you insist, I think I can afford to throw in a voucher for dinner at this five-star establishment.

    ReplyDelete