Saturday, March 08, 2008

Whither the Mets?

Celizic: The geriatric, injury-riddled Mets may be lucky to win eighty games this season.

Marchman: The Mets may have no serious competition in the National League. (Unfortunately, two of the most credible contenders, the Phillies and Braves, are in the Mets' division.)

Wake me in September.

Update: Nick asks if this means I expect the Mets to be "standing somewhere in between" come September. Well, let me put it this way: my estimation of the probability that the Mets will be at the top of their division in September is 25%; my estimation of the probability that they will be somewhere in the middle is 55%, and my estimation of the probability that they won't be standing at all is 20%. So, yeah, I guess I do.

The point of my post is kind of like that great Who song, "Won't Get Fooled Again." I don't want to go through the emotional ups and downs of last season, which got resolved into comfort by mid-August, then abruptly plunged into despair at the end of September.

Twiffer: I like roller coasters, too. In baseball, however, I'd rather not have that abrupt plunge at the end. (I know, Red Sox fans became inured to that; however, after two championships in three years, they may be starting to forget.)