Sunday, November 25, 2012

RIP: Earl "Speedo" Carroll

Talk about getting a lemon and making lemonade: Earl Carroll, lead singer of the Cadillacs, put his car into valet parking. When he reclaimed it the parking attendant said, "OK, Speedo, here's your torpedo." Carroll's response to this obviously racially motivated taunt was, "My name isn't Speedo; it's Mister Earl." This, with slight modification, became the lyrics for "Speedo" (see video above), which became a number 17 hit in 1955. There's a recent interview with Earl Carroll here.

Mr. Earl died today. Speed on, Speedo.

1 comment:

  1. www.robertmirra.com12:04 PM

    The music world has lost another great, Earl "Speedo" Carroll from the Cadillacs passed away last night. I am so honored to have been his friend. He was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. And through his music he brought his fans so much happiness. Everytime Earl and I would go out to eat I would always say, let me get the bill Speedo, and he would always say "next time." Till we meet again my friend, RIP, and teach those angels how to sing.

    ReplyDelete