Sunday, June 05, 2011

The Brooklyn Bridge cactus survives, and thrives.

There's a cactus at the apex of the small triangular garden on the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge, where the bike and pedestrian paths converge. I must have walked past it a hundred times before a friend, who has a degree in botany, pointed it out to me a couple of years ago. Whenever I walk past it I steeple my palms, bow my head slightly, and say "Namaste". The photo above shows the cactus on August 24, 2010.
Here it is last December 17, after some freezing weather.
On New Year's Day it was buried in snow.
On January 29, the snow was even deeper.
By March 19, the snow had melted, but the cactus showed little life.
By April 25, the cactus was showing signs of recovery.
On May 30 it was looking downright perky.
Yesterday, June 4, the cactus had blossomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment