Tuesday, June 12, 2007

By popular demand, another baseball post.

August (see comments to this post) asks, in a friendly way, if I would mind posting about the streak the Mets are on now. Well, uh, yeah. But, then, he makes this useful suggestion:

Could you predict that we'll tank and lose 30 straight? ... Because that might be helpful. Thanks!

All right. I, CLAUDE SCALES, DO HEREBY PREDICT THAT THE METS WILL TANK AND LOSE THIRTY STRAIGHT.

There. That feels better, already. Kinda like blamin' it on the Stones.

6/13 update: I think I misread August's intention when he suggested that I predict a thirty game losing streak for the Mets. I thought he was convinced that, as soon as I made it, the Mets' fortunes would reverse (they didn't). What I'd forgotten is that he's an Orioles fan (see "comments" below).

A heartening thought: The Cyclones start their season in less than a week.

3 comments:

  1. 30 straight? Impossible! I did a quick Google: "The longest losing streak is 21 games set by the Baltimore Orioles"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Tigers broke that record. But yeah, I remember it well. My brother and I were committed to watching every Oriole game until the streak ended. My mother had agreed to this venture thinking that they could win at any time (she never really approved of television).

    In many ways, it was but phase one of a long, ever-changing, yet somehow recurring nightmare for O's fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor o's. they got whupped by the nats last night.

    ReplyDelete